Growing up by the beach seafood was a part of our meals A LOT! We fished, crabbed, and clammed and knew the tide charts by heart. Now living in Virginia that life has changed but my taste for seafood hasn’t. I had been craving a good seafood boil for a while but haven’t taken the time….until this past week. My new Instant Pot arrived from Amazon and it was quite exciting.
We started looking around for some good recipes and found this one on Pinterest. I was quite impressed at their very detailed directions and their video. It was my first Instant Pot recipe so the video was extremely helpful (I was a little nervous with the whole high pressure thing).
We were incredibly impressed at how it all turned out. The flavor was amazing the ease of the Instant Pot was very convenient. We are very much looking forward to making more recipes. YUM!
Their recipe is copied below. Please check out their website for even more details and other recipes.
SEAFOOD BOIL – JUMBO SHRIMP, CRAB LEGS, SWEET SAUSAGE, CORN ON THE COB AND RED POTATOES – ITS AMAZING !!!
Our Seafood Boil Flavor Liquid:
- 6 cups water. (You can use the measurement markings on Instant Pot to make the measurement easy for you).
- 1 tablespoon Zatarain’s shrimp and crab boil concentrate.
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 lemon wedges(squeeze some lemon juice in too!)
- 2 quarters of an onion (suggestions: Spanish Onion or Vidalia)
- 1 Flavor sachet (ingredients right below)
The flavor sachet is composed of:
- 1 cheesecloth cut into a large square, and one piece of string or butcher twine to tie the knot.
- 1 thick slice of lemon
- A garlic bulb cut in half
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 sage leaves
- 2 bay leaves
Add all contents to the cheesecloth and tie up with a piece of string or butcher twine (ask in the grocery store).
Cheesecloth can be found in the produce section in your supermarket. If you can not find it – Here is a link for best selling cheesecloth on amazon ! Click Here: Cheesecloth on Amazon
MAIN INGREDIENTS FOR SEAFOOD BOIL:
- 3 cups, Red Potatoes cleaned and halved.
- 6 Corn on the Cob (about 4 inch pieces).
- 6 Sweet Fennel Sausages ( In preparation: pressure cook for 12 minutes in 2 cups of water, remove and cut into 1 inch pieces when cooled off).
- 1.5 lbs of Snow Crab Clusters (approx. 4-5 clusters)( remove lower portion of crab leg with kitchen shears so crab leg clusters fit in pressure cooker, later we will back fill the pressure cooker with the lower portion.
- 1 to 1.5 lb of Large to Jumbo Shrimp – Cleaned and rinsed / keep shell on (Place the crab and Shrimp in a large bowl as we will be later adding our Hot flavor liquid (like a broth) to it to begin the marinating and soft poaching process.
Directions for Seafood Boil:
- Create our flavor liquid by turning Instant Pot on by pressing the Sauté button.
- Add to the pot – water, Zatarain’s shrimp and crab boil concentrate, Old Bay seasoning, salt, paprika, flavor sachet, onion quarters and bring to a rolling boil.
- Layering process begins! ~ Add red potatoes to the liquid and cook for five minutes.
- PROCESS ALERT!!! After potatoes are added; take a large spoon or ladle and remove about 2-3 cups our flavor liquid from the instant pot and add it to the shrimp and crab in the large bowl so they soak up those flavors. This also allows more room in the Pressure cooker for the solid contents (sausage, corn, crab and shrimp), bring liquid down to at least the 8 cup mark on the Instant Pot. (See Video).
- After cooking potatoes for five minutes; add in this order: the sausage, corn on the cob (give a stir), crab leg clusters, shrimp, then the lower portions of the snow crab legs and claws (see video).
- Apply the pressure cooker lid and lock in place; set the pressure cooker to manual and 5 min, seal the vent on top.
- After the 5 minutes are up, VENT the pressure cooker and remove the Lid. Please pay attention to time as you do not want to overcook the shrimp and crab!
- Remove Contents to a large bowl and ladle on some extra Seafood Boil Liquid and serve! Or remove contents to a Traditional Picnic Newspaper spread on a table top! And… ~ ENJOY !!!
- Want the Professional Look?!?!?!Before you serve; in this order: add additional lemon wedgesthen dust with additional Paprika and Dry Parsley, the colors (Red and Green) from these 2 herbs and spices look and taste super amazing on the Seafood Boil! Its gives the WOW factor !